Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Earthquake!

I just experienced my third earthquake since moving here a year ago--but this one was by far the largest! We're all ok, but it was pretty freaky considering the epicenter of a 5.4 earthquake was like 5 miles from me! It couldn't have gone on more than 20 seconds or so, but I have to say those were the longest 20 seconds of my life. I just didn't think it was going to end! The cats hid behind the sofa for a good 20 minutes.

Pretty much everything was shaking like crazy and things were falling off shelves, but nothing even got broken! Thank God for the lack of damage and injuries in the area. It was weird though, the drawers in the kitchen were closing and opening like in a ghost movie or something. Oh, and don't worry, my coffee warming up in the microwave was just fine, albeit a little sloshing. :-) The earthquake ended and I heard "ding!" Weird.

Anyhoo, the worst part was not being able to make calls on my cell for a good half hour or so. Not that I needed help, but it was the thought that if I did, my cell phone wasn't going to be of any use. We've become so dependent on cell phones, but they have limits! In this case, b/c the power wasn't affected, I had more luck sending emails than I did making phone calls. Good to keep in mind!

Of course the news has been talking about it all day, because it's a "story" even though no major damage has occurred. They keep showing pictures of products on the floor of stores and people hanging out outside after evacuating. Big News here people...Disney had to close down their rides for a few hours! Also, I've been hearing lots of talk about how there is a tiny chance this earthquake could have been a pre-shock or whatever for an even bigger one. I hope not! In any case, the media is calling this essentially a "drill" to remind us to update our earthquake kits and plans...because [ominous music] the Big One is coming.

Lastly, I can't decide which natural disaster scary thing I'm most afraid of. Used to be hands down tornados. Here's the pros and cons of my top 4:
  1. Tornado: Pro--some warning. Con--not enough (sometimes) to find safety; also, the nerve-racking-ness (it's a new word) of a bad storm and what it could bring.
  2. Earthquake: Pro--doesn't last very long; not usually a devestating occurrance; no time to fret before it's happening. Con--no warning whatsoever; nothing you can do to get away from it once it starts
  3. Hurricane: Pro--usually lots of warning. Con--e.g., Katrina devestation; predictions can be off; people don't listen to warnings.
  4. Fire: Pro--usually enough warning to get away; few fatalities. Con--lots of damage to homes and wildlife; uncontrollable if weather isn't cooperating; can last a long time

I have experienced 1,2, & 4 (although nothing devestating for me personally, that's for sure), and I pretty much really dislike them all. I think because I haven't experienced a hurricane, 1 and 2 are tied for first in the scariest event contest.

The End!

No comments: