Monday, November 9, 2009

Skype me?

I've been struck lately by how easy technology has made it to connect with other people. Case in point: My cousin and her husband are currently in Mozambique serving in the Peace Corps. Not only do I still get to read updates via emails, blog, and facebook (with more frequency than when they lived here might I add!), I got the chance to hear my cousin Alice talk about their adventures via a Skype call. To Mozambique. Africa. Amazing! What a blessing it was for my Mamaw to hear from her granddaughter on her 80th birthday.

I have other friends and acquaintances serving around the world...in China, in Greece, in Russia, all of whom are able to share their experiences (though some a little censored unfortunately) via facebook, blogs, and email. It is incredible to hear about their work, their praises, their struggles, and their joy. What encouragement and challenge they provide as I sit here in my comfortable house, with electricity, plumbing, a warm bed, and plenty (and I mean plenty) of food.

On another note, I loved being able to use google video chat when Ben was in Singapore in May. Even when he's traveling in the states (Monday-Friday every week, for those of you who haven't gotten an update in awhile), video chat is still unique and fun. It's helpful for a guy who hates the phone! On top of that, I regularly get Skype video calls from my siblings! Even though we are in the same state, I certainly don't see them enough, so the video chat thing is a fun way for me to literally see what they are up to.

And don't think this technology stuff is too much for you to learn, because my Mamaw is now using Skype...and she just turned 80. :-) I haven't video chatted with her yet, but I hope to soon!

I realize the concern that we've gotten very disconnected from real life because of virtual worlds, and I can agree to an extent. Do I have "facebook friends" who I haven't spoken to in years? Sure. Should I probably weed through my friends list? Yup. However, despite the clutter, my world is significantly enriched because of...well, all the reasons above. :-)

No comments: